Status effects (internal name: Battle Feeling) are conditions which affect both Mii characters and enemies in different ways. Effects can turn the tide of battle and many skills can inflict them. In the Nintendo Switch version, all status effects except "Aging", "Gleeful", and "Vacancy" block the horse from performing offense-based assists with the affected Mii, though certain ones can be removed before the affected Mii can take an action if the Neigh assist is triggered.
Some effects cast from enemies can be blocked by the Scientist's Safety Mask and the Princess's Blindfold, unless the effect also causes damage. Bosses in general are immune to most negative status effects.
Only one status effect can be active on any target at the same time and the current status will either block others or be replaced by them. However, there are a few similar effects that fall outside of that rule (Shield Sprinkles, Vampire's Enthrall).
If a Mii with a status effect is placed in the Safe Spot, almost status effect, even if beneficial, is removed when they take their next turn to rest. Another way to remove certain status effects is to use Hyper Sprinkles to make the Mii hyper.
In addition, no status effect persists after battle, though most will visually persist onto the victory screen. Knocked out Mii characters will be revived with 1 HP.
By default, all battlers are in a "Normal" state. Mii characters have a limited amount of effects they can deal, but enemies have many to pick from.
|Name||Image||Afflicted message||Condition Effects||Works on bosses||Source||Quote when inflicted|
|Aging||Target got old!||The target's hair turns gray, their face wrinkles, they will not stop complaining about what they would do to be young again, and they lean on their weapon like a cane. Damage dealt is halved and damage taken is increased.||N/A||Alien-types' Aging||"*cough cough*"|
|Angry||Target is angry at enemy!
Angry because... angry! (US) / Anger provoked! (EU)
(When anger spreads to another Mii)
(When having a turn that is in an Angry quarrel or a Flower's Flower Power skill)
Target just can't let it go! (In the European version, the "just" part is skipped).
(During second turn)
|Causes the player to lose control of their Mii.
Acts twice per turn, but can only use attacks (including attacking skills). Certain skills may spread the anger to the non-guest Mii characters next to them.
Can override other emotions, including "Excite" if caused by the Avenge assist.
Speeds up the music during battle.
|Anxious||Target got nervous!||Targets become clingy and will have a 50% chance to tell another unaffected Mii not to go and cling on to them. It also stops healing moves and other non-attacking moves. Does not work for Horse-based moves. The attacking Mii will stop and friendship will go up a bit.||N/A||Demon-types' Anxious||"This is it!"|
The target gets blown away from the battlefield, temporarily removing the character from battle. Lasts for two turns.
Up to three Mii characters can be blown away, and if the last Mii on the field gets knocked out while the other Mii characters are blown away it will result in a defeat and the battle lost. If there is only a single Mii in the party that enters the battle, enemies will never blow them away.
|N/A||Harpy-types' and "Traveler" Wind's Blow|
|Burn||Bottom got burned!||The target's bottom gets burned with fire, causing it to run in circles. The burn causes damage equal to about 20% of the affected's max HP every turn.||N/A||Flaming Wind||"Ouch ouch ouch!"|
|Cranky||Target is so mad at offender!
Target's in a bad mood.
(During their move, if lashing out)
Target can't be bothered.
(During their move, if half-hearted try)
|The target will either inflict double damage to "lash out", or inflict half damage out of spite. Unlike the other conditions, the condition can last the whole battle, unless the quarrel ends before the battle is over.||N/A||The Moody Quarrel||"Now you've done it!"|
|Cry||Target is crying profusely!||Causes the target to cry profusely. They are unable to control their actions and their regular attacks will have a 30% chance to miss. Can override other emotions, including Excite.||N/A||"Boo hoo!"|
Target is dancing in a trance! (Inflicted)
Target started dancing! (User inflicted)
Target is dancing harder! (Reapplied)
|The target performs a dancing animation specific to their type (e.g. all Snurps bounce about) and cannot take any other action. The effect can be reapplied to stall the enemy.||No||"What's that now?"|
Target is inside User! (Inflicted)
User spat out its catch! (Removed)
|The target is stuck eaten by the monster performing the Eat action for a round until the target is spat out. During said round, the target can not make a move and can not be assisted or given Sprinkles, but the monster Eating the target can still attack. Up to one target can be Eaten by one monster at a time, and monsters will not Eat a Mii if he/she is the only one standing (not counting guests and the horse), whether because he/she is the only one in the party, an ally is in the Safe Spot (and no other Mii is available), or all other allies are knocked out. If the monster is defeated, the target will immediately be spat out.
When a Mii is about to attack the monster of the target having been eaten, they will say, "Give him/her back!" before attacking.
|N/A||Burger-types' and Eat Plant-types' Eat|
|Excite||Losing control! (US)
Target lost control of himself/herself! (EU)
|The target goes crazy and can only use normal attacks, but will deal triple damage. The effect goes away on its own after two turns. Overrides other emotion-based effects like Cry.
This status also speeds up the music during battle.
|Faceless||Target's face was stolen! (Inflicted)
Target is discombobulated. (EU)
(During their turn)
The Mii loses their face and cannot take any action. The effect cannot be removed whatsoever unless the party dies or the monster with the Mii's face is killed.
This is treated the same as a knocked out Mii regardless of HP remaining, so if the rest of the Mii characters unaffected by this are defeated, the battle will be lost.
|N/A||Dark Lord's Face Steal|
Touched by ally's praise! (US)
Chuffed by kind words by ally! (EU)
In a good mood and full of energy! (US)/Target is ready to take on the world! (EU) (During their turn)
|The affected will deal double damage with all attacks, take less physical damage when hit, and get a Speed boost. This can override other emotion-based effects and Hyper Sprinkles' effect.||N/A||"Wow!"|
|Ice||Turned to ice!||The Mii is frozen solid and cannot perform any action. The effect wears off after a while.||N/A||Yeti's Magic Ice All|
|Laugh||Target burst out laughing!
||The target laughs uncontrollably. They cannot take action and miss their turn. Speeds up the music during battle.||N/A||Smileshroom's and Skulleton-types' Laugh||"Pffft!"|
|Nightmare||Target was lulled into a nightmare!
Having a nightmare. (During their move)
Target was rudely awakened! (After taking damage)
|Prevents the target from moving. They also take damage equal to about 20% of their max HP at their turn, but the Safe Spot will prevent them from damage. If they take damage from attacks, they will wake up.||N/A||
|Pharaoh||Caught by pharaoh's curse!
Target is cursed. (During their turn)
|The target gains a headdress matching the monster that inflicted the status and chants "I. Am. Pharaoh."
On their turn, if they have any HP Bananas, they will offer one to their master to heal them. Otherwise, they will miss their turn.
|N/A||Pharaoh-type monsters' Pharaoh||"I. Am. Pharaoh."|
|Puppet||Target is being controlled like a puppet!||The target is held in place like a marionette. Until the effect wears off, the target can not take any action.||N/A||Puppet-type monsters' Puppet||"Oof, no!"|
Target was rudely awakened! (After taking damage)
|The target will fall asleep. When sleeping, they will regain about half their max HP. However, if the target takes damage from any attacks, they will wake up.||N/A||*yawn*|
|Spider||Target was covered in spiders!||The target is infested by spiders. They may not move and will take damage equal to about 20% of their max HP from them. Goes away on its own.||N/A||Arachno"Middle Fab Fairy"'s Spider||"Agh! I don't like spiders!"|
|Spite||Getting mean! (Inflicted)
Plotting something... (During their move)
Target tripped 'em up!
|The target's eyes turn black with red pupils and have a shadowy aura. The victim has a 50% chance of tripping an ally about to perform their action, wasting their turn and can possibly cause quarrels.||N/A||Imp's, Naughty Imp's, and all Queen-types' Spite||"*grin*"|
|Stone||Target was turned to stone!||The target turns completely gray and is frozen in place. They cannot move or take action.||N/A||Medusa-type monsters' Stone|
|Terror||Legs turned to jelly!||The target shivers and will not do anything.||N/A||"Yikes!"|
|Vacancy||Zoned out!||The target will inflict less damage, heal less, and take 1.5x more damage from attacks.||N/A||"Ah... Aha..."|
The following lists other status effects not grouped with the main battle feelings listed above. The status names are mostly conjectural, usually based on the associated battle message.
- Barrier: The target gains a green barrier which reduces damage by half. The barrier persists even through death until the end of battle. Can only be removed by Shield Sprinkles and the Juvenile Snurp's Crash Attack. A Mii can gain this from an Elf's Forest Aegis or, as a Mage, the Barrier skill.
- Calm: Sharply lowers the target's defense, causing it to take 1.5x the normal damage. The Princess can inflict this via either Eau de Cologne or the Horse-Whispering Princess assist (Nintendo Switch version only, only applicable to the Hero). The Imp job can also induce this via Sweet Whispers.
- Finisher: The target takes fatal damage from a Cautious Mii's Finisher quirk (disguised behind the "Finisher!" pop-up), enough to deplete its HP to 0.
- Kill: The target is instantly knocked out regardless of HP, without any numerical damage involved. From the player side, the Cleric, Chef, and Imp jobs can inflict this on enemies using Righteous Anger, Monster Dinner, and Demonic Whisper, respectively. The Scary Scorpion and the Metal Scorpion are the only monsters that can inflict this.
- Knocked out: The target faints (Mii) or dies (enemy). A defeated Mii's turn is always skipped (unless a Vampire uses Revive or a Mii is revived by Enthrall). If all of the Mii characters in the party are defeated, they will flee and leave the stage. If all enemies are dead, the battle is won. A fainted Mii cannot be revived with the Safe Spot; only revival skills, some assists, and Life Sprinkles will work.
- Shield: The Mii is protected from a single instance of damage using the Shield Sprinkles. Does not protect him/her from damage induced by certain status ailments. Attacks that forcefully reduce the target Mii's HP to 1 bypass this protection while still breaking it. A shield can also be removed if a barrier from either Barrier or Forest Aegis is applied instead.
- Weapon eaten: The target temporarily loses all the stats given by their weapon and is unable to use skills. The thief will spit the weapon out after a few turns or when defeated. All Mummy-type monsters are capable of eating weapons.
- Zombify: The Mii gains one charge of automatic revival from a Vampire's Enthrall. The revival effect will work similarly to the Vampire's Revive auto skill. This effect will only wear off either after the auto-revive kicks in or when the battle is over.
- If a Mii under the Spite condition trips up an ally or an Anxious Mii tells another ally to not go, they will always approach the ally from the left side of the screen no matter where they actually are.
- If a Mii with the Cranky condition manages to defeat a monster, their victory message will sometimes be "Hmph. Whatever."
- A Mii that wakes up from the Sleep condition will say "Good morning!" disregarding the actual time.
- The Angry, Excite, Burn and Laugh conditions all speed up the battle music depending on how many Mii characters are affected by it. If a Mii with one of these conditions change to the Gleeful condition, the music will not go down in speed until the Mii calms down.
- The Vacancy condition could be based off the Calm condition as the Mii takes more damage in this condition, as well as the face expression during the condition. However, the Calm condition does not make enemies inflict less damage to the Mii characters nor reduce the potency of enemies' healing.
- A Mii under the Dance condition will use the same dancing animation as Goblin-type monsters.
- If a Mii protects another Mii with Sacrifice, it is still possible for the Mii they are protecting to get the status effect.
- The enemy that can cause the most status effects is the Boss Snurp, with the ability to give 5 different effects.