Relationships are a game mechanic in Miitopia. Party members can interact with each other, whether they are in battle or out of battle. Positive interactions result in the increase of the "friendship" meter, while negative interactions result in quarrels.
- 1 Friendship
- 2 Quarrels
- 3 Role in Miitopia: Casting Call
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
In Miitopia, having friends is truly a blessing.
Relationship improves when two Mii characters rest in the same room at an inn or through random actions during a battle such as the use of the assist skill "Concern", the Energetic quirk "Cheer" or healing a party member. The higher the friendship, the more assist skills are available. Assist skills activate randomly during combat and enable boosts for the attacking Mii, duo, trio or full team attacks, etc.
Reaching a new friendship level during battle will also fully heal both Mii characters' HP.
Although relationship is an advantage during battle, if two of the player's Mii characters fight or if a Mii gets jealous because his/her best friend is getting closer to another Mii, it will result in bickering and fights during battle.
The Relationship meter is symbolized by a pink heart.
In Miitopia for Nintendo Switch, the new horse ally can be bonded with a party member. Unlike between teammates, relationship level with the horse has higher boost per Inn stay. Refer to the Horse article for more details on its assist skills.
Relationship experience points
As mentioned above, relationship is improved by filling up a meter. Unlike party member levels, relationship levels have a constant number of required experience points (5) to reach the next level. However, how much earned varies by source. Relationship levels never decrease. Instead, a separate "hate EXP" is used to determine how close a Mii is to quarreling with another. The following table lists how much relationship EXP is earned from a given situation, not counting Outings.
|Source||Relationship EXP earned|
|Inn night stay||1 (Mii)|
|Inn event||3 (normal)|
5 (special condition; for example, an excellent "Training" event)
|Present||5 ("very good" response)|
4 ("good" response)
3 ("normal" response)
|Map event||1 (if applicable)|
|Battle||1 (when applicable by certain skills/assists)|
|Jolly Jaunt Tickets||6 (Luxury)|
For more specific ways, the following is some of the sources of relationship EXP:
- Rooming two Mii characters together.
- A successful evasion following a Warning.
- A Mii showing Concern to an ally that suffered a hit.
- Using a Jolly Jaunt Ticket on two Mii characters in the same room.
- Having a Mii perform certain support/assist skills on an ally, like healing skills. Examples:
- A Mii being protected by a Warrior with Proud Protector.
- Cat’s Playful Antics.
- Successful revivals from an ally, like:
- Warrior's Super Snap out of It.
- Cleric's Resurrection.
- Flower's Life Dew.
- Flower’s Gentle Fragrance, Sweet Fragrance, Flower Bed, and Mega Flower Bed.
- Elf's Healing Melody, Forest Aegis, and Forest's Blessing.
- Thief's Huge Trap, when a monster attacks someone other than the Thief.
- Cleric's healing skills.
- Chef's Feast and Cooking-based skills.
- A Mii being protected by an Elf with Counter Arrow skill.
- Applicable skills that target all party members only increase the relationship with one Mii.
- Playing out random events (inn/stage) involving two or more Mii characters that result in a positive outcome (shows increase of "friendship" meter). Examples:
- Having two Mii characters train together.
- Having a Mii help another Mii when they have tripped.
- Receiving a gift that makes a Mii at least "somewhat happy."
- When in battle, a Mii having the Anxious status ailment may interrupt an ally about to attack, which cancels out whatever action said ally is about to perform and raises relationship of both characters.
- Using an Outing Ticket on a pair of Mii characters (or a Mii and the horse for the Horse Outing tickets) roomed together. (Nintendo Switch version only)
- Having the horse use Cheek Rub or Neigh on a Mii (randomly triggered on low MP and certain status effects respectively), boosting relationship between the assisted Mii and the horse. (Nintendo Switch version only)
Note: The above methods are not applied on guest party members as said guests cannot form a relationship of any kind with the player's Mii characters.
|Show Off||Lv. 2||"Impress your friend by doing extra damage to enemies." Multiplies damage by 1.3.||20%||Standard attack, damage-dealing skills.|
|Warning||Lv. 3||"Call out to a friend to give them a chance to dodge an attack." 50% chance of successful dodge. If successful, raises friendship.||10%||Friend is about to take damage, including attacks that target several Mii characters (but not all).|
|Concern||Lv. 4||"Console a friend after they've taken a hit. 'Where does it hurt?'" Raises friendship.||10%||Friend has taken damage, can even happen when friend is affected by Shield Sprinkles. (verification needed)|
|Praise||Lv. 5||"Shower a friend with compliments. 'See! I knew you could do it!'" Makes the Mii gleeful, making the next action or two more effective.||20%||Friend defeats an enemy.|
|Lend a Hand||Lv. 6||"Help a friend out with their next action and boost its effects." Adds bonus damage/healing/MP recovery/success rate to the action, usually depending on Mii's applicable stat (attack/magic). All three other party members have a 30% chance each of assisting at sufficient friendship levels.||20%||Standard attacks, most skills of friend.|
|Get Well Soon||Lv. 7||"Visit a friend in the Safe Spot to speed up their recovery." Gives additional HP/MP recovery by 10%. All three other party members have a 30% chance each of assisting at sufficient friendship levels.||20%||Friend spends the turn in the Safe Spot.|
|Charity||Lv. 8||"Give a snack to a friend when they don't have one on them." Raises friendship.||50%||Friend has low HP/MP and no matching snack.|
|Avenge||Lv. 9||"When a friend falls, flare up in anger with a vengeful strike." Grants an instant bonus attack. All three other party members can do so at sufficient friendship levels.
Airheaded, Cautious and Kind Mii characters will cry, while Cool, Stubborn and Energetic Mii characters will get angry. Laid-back Mii characters will get no status effect. Another party member has a 30% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.
|50%||Friend gets knocked out.|
|Sacrifice||Lv. 10||"Take damage in place of a friend. 'They won't lay a finger on you!'" Take damage instead of the friend. Area attacks will hit twice. All three other party members have a 30% chance each to do so at sufficient friendship levels, splitting the damage taken for the friend between them though relationship will only increase on one of the Mii characters.||20%||Friend is about to take fatal damage.|
|Pincer||Lv. 12||"Attack in sync with a friend and hit from behind for great damage." Similar to Lend a Hand, but with higher damage, multiplied by 1.5. Converts standard attacks that hit all enemies to single-target.
All three other party members have a 30% chance each to assist at sufficient friendship levels.
|20%||Standard attacks, single-target damage skills.|
|Lend a Hand II||Lv. 14||"Increase the chance and effect of boosting a friend's action." Multiplies damage by 1.1. Another party member has a 60% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||20%|
|Share||Lv. 16||"Go halfsies on a snack with a friend when they don't have one on them." Effect of snack is split evenly. Raises friendship.||50%||Same as Charity, but the giver also lacks HP/MP.|
|Last Wish||Lv. 18||"Heal a friend when you've fallen and they take a critical hit." Fully heals friend.||20%||Knocked out, friend is about take fatal damage.|
|Avenge II||Lv. 19||"When a friend falls, land a heavy attack in the name of vengeance." Multiplies damage by 3.1. Another party member has a 60% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||50%|
|Resurgence||Lv. 20||"Gain the strength to get up again if a friend falls in battle." Recovers HP upon revival by 20%. Resurgence can activate when two Mii characters fall at the same time (such as area attacks or both falling to a single Fiend/Terror Fiend/Red Fiend's magic via Sacrifice), with the Resurgence perk activating off of the other fallen Mii's health dropping to 0.||20%||A Mii's friend gets knocked out after that Mii does.|
|Pincer II||Lv. 22||"Increase the chance and effect of a pincer attack. 'On three!'" Multiplies damage by 1.6. Another party member has a 60% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||20%|
|Warning II||Lv. 27||"Increase the chance of a friend dodging an attack after a warning." 80% chance of successful dodge.||10%|
|Get Well Soon II||Lv. 32||"Increase the chance and effect of speeding up recovery in the Safe Spot." Gives additional HP/MP recovery by 20%. Another party member has a 60% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||20%|
|Show Off II||Lv. 38||"Really impress your friend by doing loads of damage to enemies." Multiplies damage by 1.5.||20%|
|Avenge III||Lv. 44||"When a friend falls, swear in the name of justice to fell the enemy." Multiplies damage by 3.2. Another party member has a 90% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||50%|
|Sacrifice II||Lv. 52||"Increase the chance and effect of taking a hit for a friend." The shielding Mii takes 10% less damage. Another party member has a 60% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||20%|
|Show Off III||Lv. 60||"Seriously impress your friend by doing a ton of a damage to enemies." Multiplies damage by 1.7.||20%|
|Pincer III||Lv. 68||"Greatly increase the chance and effect of a pincer attack. 'NOW!'" Multiplies damage by 1.7. Another party member has a 90% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||20%|
|Sacrifice III||Lv. 77||"Greatly increase the chance and effect of taking a hit for a friend." The shielding Mii takes 20% less damage. Another party member has a 90% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||20%|
|Get Well Soon III||Lv. 87||"Greatly increase the chance and effect of speeding up Safe Spot recovery." Gives additional HP/MP recovery by 30%.||20%|
|Lend a Hand III||Lv. 99||"Greatly increase the chance and effect of boosting a friend's action." Multiplies damage by 1.2. Another party member has a 90% chance of joining in the assist at sufficient friendship levels.||20%|
Main article: Quarrel
Role in Miitopia: Casting Call
Relationships and assist skills are prominently featured in Miitopia: Casting Call.
In the Chosen Ones trailer, the Cat is seen using Lend a Hand towards the Warrior, causing them to attack the Dark Lord at the same time. Afterwards, the Cat is shown giving Praise on the Warrior, with the latter being touched by it.
The Camaraderie trailer's main focus is relationships, specifically, the relationship between the Cleric and the Mage. Their relationship is shown to have begun when the Mage trips and the Cleric decides to help out, similar to the "Tripped" event in Miitopia. The two are then shown to have their relationship grow all the way to Level 15, and in an upcoming battle, the Cleric is seen using Lend a Hand to the Mage.
However, the Mage is then seen to grow resentment towards the Cleric, as he/she is seen receiving a present from the Warrior, which leads the Mage to get jealous. The Mage is then seen tripping over the Cleric on purpose, which leads the two to start a quarrel and activating Trouble.
While the Mage is seen about to be attacked by a Kind Golem, the Cleric is seen activating the Sacrifice assist skill, and is subsequently defeated. The Mage is then seen using Avenge after the Cleric is defeated.
Differences in the Camaraderie trailer
The way that relationships and quarrels are shown are slightly different in the Camaraderie trailer than they are in Miitopia. The following are the differences between the presented features in the trailer and actual gameplay.
- The Warrior and the Cat, who are unrelated to the Cleric and the Mage's relationship, would stalk the two's interactions with each other.
- The "Likes" relationship level has many differences to its in-game counterpart.
- The focus being quite closer to the center.
- The Mii characters being closer to each other compared to how it is in Miitopia.
- The Mii characters posing as if they had a Level 6-9 relationship, but with their eyes open.
- This also goes for the "Likes a lot" relationship level.
- The focus being much closer to the center, more so than it was in the "Likes" relationship level.
- It having the color of Level 30+ relationships instead of the Level 10-19 color (likely to differentiate from "Likes").
- The Mii characters being very close in distance.
- The poses that two Mii characters have being the same as if they obtain a new assist skill at levels 2-5.
- When the Mage is shown being jealous of the Warrior, who is seen giving a present to the Cleric, he/she gains resentment to the latter. In Miitopia, the Mage would gain resentment to the Warrior instead.
- The two Mii characters are shown having the Moody status effect during the "That was the last straw!" message while saying a certain phrase. However, they will not be next to the Mii that they resent.
- Unlike in Miitopia, where Trouble activates during a battle, the Camaraderie trailer shows the Mage and the Cleric seemingly activating it during exploration
- Although the Cleric and Mage use the Sacrifice and Avenge Assists respectively, neither of them would be able to use assists towards each other until they forgave each other.
- The Mage uses Lightning to Avenge the Cleric when Miis only do normal attacks when avenging others
- The relationship arrow's color changes depending on the relationship level (from yellow to pink), so do the hearts when an assist skill is used.
- When a Mii grows their relationship with another during an event but has resentment toward them, the Mii will act aloof and look away instead of dancing with the Mii.
- The Trouble fight is the only relationship skill involving two Mii characters that will always result in a 4-hit combo on a single target once triggered.
- Relationship levels are capped at 99.
- Leveling up a relationship during a battle or from a stage event will restore all HP, but not MP, for both Mii characters.
- Sometimes, when a Mii with the angry condition uses a move that causes resentment, a quarrel can start between the two Mii characters without the transition effect happening.
- If a Mii uses Cover, Sacrifice, or Proud Protector but ends up running out of HP, the relationship will not increase.
- When relationships increase between levels 2-10, the Mii characters will be happy, followed by their eyes turning to look at the Mii next to them; if this occurs during a battle, however, the Mii characters will keep their happy expressions.
- The Avenge assist will not activate if caused by attacks that cause friendly fires, such as the Pop Star's Out of Tune or Way Out of Tune.